Donations Sought for Juveniles at Syracuse Jail
As part of a settlement agreement with Legal Services of Central New York in the Syracuse juvenile solitary case, the Onondaga County jail must create an incentive plan to encourage positive behavior, including participation in programming and education services.
Jail officials are revising the plan to include better incentives, like playing video games, getting comic books and magazines, and a regular movie night. The jail has asked for donations to provide these incentives to teenagers. The kids at the jail are 16 and 17 year olds.
If you have any of the following items, please consider donating them for the incarcerated juveniles here in Syracuse:
· Video game system (e.g. PS3 or XBox)
· Video games (non-violent only, e.g. Madden, NBA 2K, FIFA)
· Comic books
· Puzzle books
· Fashion magazines
· Kid-friendly magazines (Sports Illustrated, ESPN magazine)
· Young adult fiction books (e.g. Goosebumps, Harry Potter)
· DVDs of teen-friendly movies (Non-R rated)
· Board games (no dice in the games please)
· Playing cards
Any donation you could make will make a big difference in the quality of life of kids at the jail. Also, if you know of groups or people in your community who may be willing to donate items please feel free to forward this email to them. Donations will be accepted until October 16th.